Zum Inhalt springen

t-rocketry Beiträge

Binder Design Excel

The Binder Design Excel is a little beauty midpower-rocket. I built it together with my daughter to have something to fly F und G-motors. First flight was at RJD 2017 and also at RJD 2018 the Excel flew succesfully. Firstly on RJD 2018 a little usb-camera-stick was onboard the rocket. Additionally an action-cam filmed at close proximity.

Bild von Holger Trusch
Kommentare geschlossen

BSD Diablo 5.5

Another big project was a BSD Diablo 5.5. I purchased the kit directly from BSD High Power Rocketry 2006 in the US. The kit was easy to built and was already complete with decals. BSD manufactured the best rockets kits on the market that time and for resonable price. I was planning to fly this kit with dual deplayment but in the end I had not enough space for two chutes and a big motor. Also it was not easy (and short big rockets are never easy to fly) to make it stable. I needed to put a 1.3kg mixture of resin and sand in the nosecone to push the center of pressure a bit more away from the center of gravity to have safe and stable flight with a big 54mm motor.

Here are some Pictures from the Assembling:

I decided to fly it on a Aerotech J275-W at RJD 2006. A great 54mm motor with 3.3s burntime and over 700Ns of thrust. Predicted altitude of the flight should was about 1500 meters. The rocket weighted about 5,7kg fully loaded.

As you can see on the pictures (Thanks to Tom Stach for these awesome picture series!) it was a beautiful flight but I wanted to safe some bucks on the shroudlines and took cheaper ones. So due to bad (or not appropriate) quality of the shroud lines the motor ejection burned through it. The nosecone separated and the chute went away at about 1000 meters by the thermic air and was not seen again. The rest of the rocket was coming in ballistically. Fortunately the nosecone was separated from the rocket body, so the I could recover the body nearly undamaged. The nosecone needed to be digged out ouf 50cm deep soil, but was (besides the paint) also in good shape as it was nearly solid filled with resin and sand.

The Diablo 5.5 may fly again in 2018.

Kommentare geschlossen

Level 2 Project: Rebel Buccaneer 4.0

One of my largest project so far was a kit from Rebel Rocketry established by Frank De Brouwer in the Netherlands: The Buccaneer 4.0. Built and glassed in nearly one week with the major help from Rolf Stabroth from Halberstadt,the rocket got flight ready on September 2nd, 2003.

Logo from Rebel Rocketry – company has been closed a couple of years ago.

After the successful first flight at ALRS IV in Switzerland in 2003 I got my Tripoli Level 2 certification to buy motors up to category L.

Since that time the Buccaneer had a lot of succesful flights. The motor size of the motor was limited due to the motor-mount size of 38mm. But two years later the Buccaneer went off on the biggest available motor for 38mm motor-mounts, an Aerotech J570 White Lightning motor. Beautiful flight to about 1800 Meters and came back with dual deployment at Feilenmoos/Manching xperimental launch.

Last flight before her retirement was at RJD 2017 on an Aerotech J350-W with media coverage by N24. Roared up to about 1200 meters and came back with two chutes and dual deployment. Unfortunately it hits the near lake digged for extracting sand from soil. The built in electronic got damaged due to the humidity but the model could recovered safely.

The link to N24 mediathek:

https://www.welt.de/mediathek/reportage/gesellschaft/video171267753/High-Tech-aus-dem-Hobbykeller-Modellbauer-der-Meisterklasse.html

Kommentare geschlossen